Thursday, February 2, 2012

Otak2 Alumni Cohort Interview

Otak2 has finally published the feedback interview done by the 2011 Cohort!.Check out more write-up from other cohorts here! http://www.otak2.com/alumni/2011-cohort/

Tell me a little bit about yourself! (School, major, career plans etc.)
Hi, I’m Anis Zafirah Sipal Anuwar! I’m going into the final year of MEng Chemical Engineering course at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland. I’m looking forward to my graduation next year and am really excited to start my career as a young chemical engineer and get my chartered status in the next coming years. 

Have these career plans altered since coming to Otak-Otak, and if yes/no, why and how? Also, did the program align with your career plans?
I was attached to intern at a very good local engineering company known as Premium-RE. I had always wanted to be a chemical engineer and was looking forward to gain technical and managerial skills in engineering field over the summer. I used to work in UK before but in nothing that was really related to the course that I’m studying right now. I’m so fortunate that Premium-RE has given me a really in-depth exposure during my internship. I worked closely with the engineering team at Premium-RE where I was involved in most of the meetings and site visits for the commencement of the first bio-oil plant in the world which uses palm oil waste as the feedstock. The whole internship experience was fantastic; I was given the opportunity to travel and meet clients. Along the way, I’ve learnt so many things that was not even taught in the syllabus in a typical engineering curriculum. I appreciate that this internship trained me to adapt to new things and understand more about the real process and machineries that take place in a real plant. Otak2 has indeed enriched me with lots of transferable skills and invaluable experience which align with my career plans. 

What was one of your most memorable moments about the program?
There were so many memorable things about Otak2 but the most apparent one was during our visit to Royal Selangor in Setapak. My team won the jelly making competition and we were entitled to a free workshop session at the Royal Selangor School of Hard Knocks. I made a pewter bowl out of a piece of plain pewter sheet and engraved my name on it. It was a really a splendid experience where I learnt to appreciate artwork. At the end of the session each one of us was awarded with a certificate from the School of Hard Knocks! Awesome! 

Describe your internship experience in three adjectives!
Marvellous. Fantastic. Cool 

Did you feel like the program lived up to your experience and what was advertised? Please elaborate.
When I read the advertisement for the first time, I could only imagine it as a mere internship with a hectic array of leadership workshops and social events. Nonetheless, as the weeks went by I was proven wrong because Otak2 had in fact given me more than that I could expect. The program was so comprehensive that I had actually learnt and experienced more than I thought. I used to be a very technical person with strong interest in engineering and science-related matter but ever since I met the Otak2 interns and every person who is involved with the program, I could say that I’m now like a new born butterfly that just burst out of my own cocoon and aims to fly really high. I’ve learnt so many things from each other in Otak2, be it politics, economics, business, finance, humanity, social enterprise , you name it, all this wholesome knowledge and experiences are going to be useful for me, if not now in the future. 

Which was your favourite and least favourite event and why?
I really love the Start-up session which was held at the MindValley office. I had never felt so close to people I just met and was really inspired listening to the stories from people with different walks of life. At the end of the session, I felt really inspired and learnt so much lessons of life for them. 

What is the best and worst thing about this internship? 
The best thing about this internship is the PEOPLE. Everyone in the program is really nice and exciting. The worst thing is the duration of the internship itself. 2 months may sound pretty long on paper but now I feel like as if I’d started this internship just 2 weeks ago 

What was one piece of advice that really stuck with you from the program and why?
I can’t seem to recall one exactly, but throughout the program , I’ve learnt that every person is unique and each one of us can make a difference in many different ways just like Gandhi’s saying You must be the change u want to see in the world. Yup, you and I can make change too!:) 

Is there anything you would change about the program?
So far, I’m satisfied with the program structure. But to add more spice into the program perhaps Otak2 could add outdoor teambuilding activities such as white water rafting. 

Has this program made it likelier for you to come back to work in Malaysia? 
Yes, absolutely 


1 comment: